Wednesday 17 September 2014

Swinging Sixties





*

Dress: Princess Charlotte sequinned
Wrap: Vintage fur
Heels: Novo glitter platforms
Clutch: Adorne
Necklace: Samantha Willis chrome
Chrome Bangle: Autograph
Silver engraved bangle: Sportsgirl
Ring: Gone Dotti

*

Traveled back in time to celebrate the special day of my dear friend & one of my biggest cheerleaders, Matilda, with a Say Goodbye to the Swinging Sixties 70th birthday party, complete with of-the-era nightclub performers & one very special celebrity guest who was known as "the voice" of his generation... 

It's always daunting to have to dress as an homage to a time period without looking like you raided a costume shop or child's dressing-up box - particularly when the event is formal as well - but luckily for me, I had just finished watching the entire first series of Love Child on DVD so I was good to go... My strategy was simple: find a modern dress in a 1960s style & add accessories to evoke the past while staying firmly in the present. This sequinned Princess Charlotte shift was the right cut & the right length & most importantly, the right FEEL for the party. Scroll down for more pictures of the dress sans wrap:





I decided to mix sparkle & shine with this look, pairing the sequinned shift with silver glitter platforms & a charcoal satin box clutch. It was a birthday party after all! Mixing metals, I added my chunky - & versatile! - chrome ball necklace & chrome bangle (seen in yesterday's blog as part of a COMPLETELY different look...) as well as a wide silver engraved bangle for contrast & a vintage clear resin ring with bird design INSIDE. See picture below for close-up view: 


To complete the ensemble, I added a luxurious vintage fur wrap from the Ipswich Antique Centre in a complimentary shade (see pictures below), all aspects working together to create a mostly modern look with a wholly vintage feel...



All that remains is to leave you with some shots of me getting into the spirit of the swinging sixties with a bit of go-go dancing in the doorway... GROOVY BABY!




No comments:

Post a Comment