Wednesday 22 June 2022

Darling in Deco

 











*

Dress: Sacha Drake silk, embellished silk
Heels: Jo Mercer leather
Bag: Sportsgirl woven straw
Bangle: Gift, vintage shell mosaic
Bracelet: Gift, vintage shell pieces

*

Avid readers of this blog will already know how much I absolutely adore not only art deco styling but the complete works of British mystery author Agatha Christie & the fact that famed director Kenneth Branagh has decided to take on the role of Belgian sleuth Hercule Poirot (made famous by Sir David Suchet, in my opinion) and film a plethora of new films based (somewhat loosely, as the case may be) on his most famous fictional cases & set during one of my all-time favourite time periods is cause for celebration! To wit, I donned this absolutely divine cream, navy & blue floral print silk wrap dress with peaked cap sleeves, bias cut & embellished belt from Australian designer Sacha Drake to truly immerse myself in "Death on the Nile" & the heady world of 1937 Karnak and Luxor aboard a luxury ocean liner with a handful of seriously devious & fabulously rich individuals... all with secrets that they'd be willing to kill for... I styled it up with a pair of silver leather strappy heels from Jo Mercer to add some height to my five foot frame, a natural woven straw bucket bag from Sportsgirl to carry all the essentials while adding a jaunty "sea cruise" vibe & a pair of matching vintage shell jewellery pieces in the form of a chunky mosaic bangle & large piecemeal bracelet, both with a distinctly ocean blue tinge to complete the look.

For those wondering, I did enjoy the film, however if I'm truly honest, I must admit that I consider it to be third in line for this particular tale - after the David Suchet version from 2004 & the Peter Ustinov version from 1978 which was a literally smorgasbord of superstar performances from Angela Landsbury, Jane Birkin, David Niven, Maggie Smith, Mia Farrow & Olivia Hussey to name but a few. I found it to be a bit slow in some spots (the same as I found with Branagh's version of "Murder on the Orient Express") & some of the changes to Christie's work were unnecessary & in one particular case, quite upsetting. Regardless, it was enjoyable for the amazing scenery, the stunning costumes & the cunning murder plot which many find to be contrived but I consider to be a hallmark of Christie's work, where the timing always works perfectly & every little piece falls into place as if by magic. Have you seen the film? I'd love to know what you thought of it in the comments section.


Scroll down to see more pictures of this beautiful look... including a little photobomb from a certain furry feline interloper...










No comments:

Post a Comment