Wednesday 21 October 2015

Of The Night






*

Dress: Anthea Crawford taffeta & lurex lace
Cape: Gift, Martin Modell vintage faux fur & fringing
Heels: Novo suede & glitter platforms
Clutch: Anthea Crawford patent & silver
Cuff: Gift, Wallace Bishop silver
Bracelet: Gift, vintage silver (from Kellie's Antiques)
Ring: Vintage, silver, diamond & sapphire (belonged to my Nanna)
Brooch: Handmade, resin

*


Listen to them, the children of the night. 
What music they make!


After some technical difficulties - & a fortnight enjoying the sun & surf on a Gold Coast holiday - I am finally getting around to posting pictures of the Gothic-inspired outfit I wore to attend a theatre performance of Bram Stoker's Dracula, at QPAC a few months ago! Much like the novel's eponymous main character, the chilling Count Dracula, the legend created by the 1897 tome WILL NOT DIE & this imaginative, opulent & strikingly modern 2015 incantation will do little to cool the fervor surrounding the infamous, hyper-sexualised "blue-blooded blood-sucker" & the intrepid vampire hunter who would seek to vanquish his kind, Abraham Van Helsing...

But I digress. 
This is a fashion blog, so you're probably here to read all about the clothing & accessories, right?!




The base of the outfit was this stunning Anthea Crawford dress made from navy taffeta with a shiny, silver lurex lace overlay, sweetheart neckline & cap sleeve detail. Check it out in all of its glory below:






Covering such a gorgeous dress was this vintage Martin Modell cape made from grey faux fur with an AMAZING fringed hemline. Scroll down to see it move!



Rather than anchoring the look with my usual black accessories, I donned a pair of silver glitter & suede peeptoe platforms from Novo to match the shiny lurex designs covering the dress & carried a tiny navy patent envelope clutch - with silver hardware - from Anthea Crawford to create cohesion. Truth be told, although I was entering the realm of the "undead," I couldn't help clicking my heels together & mouthing "There's no place like home" as though I was a Dorothy-from-Kansas who'd suddenly been drained of all colour...



When it came to jewellery, I decided to bust out a few special pieces for the occcasion - a brushed silver cuff that my friend Alice gave me as a birthday gift a few years ago, inscribed with the phrase "All You Need Is Love" in reference to my slight Beatles obsession (I absolutely ADORE George Harrison!); chunky vintage silver bracelet with oversized heart locket & teeny tiny key, sourced from Kellie's Antiques in the Brisbane Arcade, that another dear friend gave me for my 30th birthday & a dainty silver, diamond & sapphire ring that once belonged to my Nanna.



Finishing the ensemble - with a wink & a nod - was a kitschy, handmade resin skeleton hand brooch in a shade of grey that almost blended in with cape but provided an element of surprise for all who came close enough to see it...





*

No comments:

Post a Comment