Monday 12 October 2015

Being Green










*

Dress: Identity dupione silk 
Coat: Gift, vintage silk (from China)
Booties: Corelli @ Williams suede & neoprene
Tights: Razzamatazz 40 denier
Bag: Vera May patent
Bangles: Gift, beaded (from India)

*

Finally posting some pictures of the gorgeous outfit that I wore to luncheon at Stamford Plaza with some dear friends over a month ago! For some reason, the colour green seems to get quite a "bad rap" when it comes to fashion, with many fashion brands finding that emerald, puce, chartreuse, lime & mint dresses seem to linger longer on shelves than frocks in shades of red, black & blue. Only olive seems immune, but this could be down to the fact that "military-inspired" dressing has been a strong trend for a good 4 or 5 years now... 

Far be it for me to disagree with Kermit the Frog (one of my childhood heroes... yes, really... I must have belted out The Rainbow Connection at the top of my lungs hundreds of times while riding my bicycle around the backyard... when I wasn't singing Part of Your World from Disney's The Little Mermaid, that is...) but I ABSOLUTELY love green hues & find them incredibly easy to wear, not least due to my dark hair & hazel eyes. That being said, I believe it will suit everyone - brunette, blond & especially redhead - & that once you try the fresh, sprightly shade that is most flattering on you, you'll wonder why you eschewed it for so long!

This smart-casual ensemble started with a stunning silver, charcoal & puce printed dupione silk shift dress from Aussie fashion brand Identity, worn tight like a second skin (hooray for intelligently-placed darting) with a just-below-the-knee hem, classic bateau neckline at the front & dipped v-neckline at the back. Check it out in all its glory - sans coat - below:







As usual, the look was "anchored" by black suede & neoprene heeled booties with pointy-toes from Corelli & a pair of matte, 40 denier Razzamatazz tights to ward off the chill. Rather than carry a black handbag, I decided to go "all in" with the green theme & don this bright, patent option by Vera May, which perfectly matched the puce splotches found in the dress' pattern.

When it came to jewellery, less was definitely more & definitely NOT green: a trio of beaded, mixed metal (gold & silver) bangles that a friend sent to me from India, perfect for a little daytime sparkle...


And finally, the "hero" of the outfit (my favourite part) - a vintage, emerald green floral silk frock coat that a dear friend picked up on her travels through China many years ago & lovingly gifted me 50 years later! I love EVERYTHING about it - the three-quarter "bracelet" sleeves, the mandarin collar, the toggle clasps down the front lapels... in my eyes, it really is such a beautiful work of art & gives the ensemble a luxurious uniqueness redolent of days gone by.



*

No comments:

Post a Comment