Tuesday 11 November 2014

On Fashion Blogging


*

Dress: Vintage, 1960s taffeta & lace
Heels: Novo patent
Bag: Vera May patent
Necklace: Katies shell
Cuff: Wallace Bishop silver
Hinged Bangle: Oxfam silver
Ring: Oxfam silver & mother-of-pearl

*


Was invited to attend a Fashion Blogger's luncheon last week & I'm not ashamed to admit that in the few days preceding the event, I was a little bit nervous about exactly WHAT I was going to wear for such an occasion... After all, it can be difficult to try & encapsulate your entire design philosophy into 1 outfit while simultaneously trying to make sure that they realise that you know what you're talking about when it comes to things like proportion, pattern-mixing, textures, pops of colour, trends... 

And then there's that whole "photography" thing...


The truth of the matter is that I believe - & always have - that style is an innate quality. It's not something that requires a particular "formula" for success, although I try to give as many tips as I can about how to pull things together. It's more about having an "eye" for what works. It's looking at hundreds of fashion magazines & interpreting what they say in a way that suits your taste, your budget, your lifestyle & YOUR body shape... Or it's not agreeing with anything they espouse & continuing to rock that bohemian look that always seems to pop up in spring/summer collections ALL YEAR ROUND, if that's what you love to do. 


It's trial & error. It's not paying attention to sizing & focusing on getting the perfect FIT. It's not accepting what you are being presented with in the department store or boutique when looking for the perfect "event" ensemble - it's seeing BEYOND to the marvellous potential of each piece... if you just cut the sleeves off or hemmed it a little or created an asymmetrical pleat at the neckline or ruched the sides with strips of elastic...


When it comes to this blog, I try to represent "real" life, lived in fabulous clothes from many different brands at wildly different price points. I try to show that inspiration can come from many divergent sources & interest can be garnered in a myriad of ways - a little touch of vintage, perhaps... I try to empower other women who, like me, want to feel fabulous & beautiful in their clothes despite not looking like the typical fashion model. I endeavour to prove that fashion can change the way you FEEL, not just the way you LOOK.


...And I do it using either the camera on my phone or a $100 camera from Harvey Norman, taking pictures that are NOT RETOUCHED or Photoshopped. What you see is the REAL me.


But I digress. 

Deciding on a 1960s steel-blue taffeta & lace "wiggle" dress, generously given to me by a dear friend's mother, I brought it up-to-date for 2014 with black patent accessories - a pair of peeptoe platform sandals with t-bar strap & a handbag with black & blue marbling effect on the side, further emphasising the dress's stunning hue. I know that some people aren't fans of taffeta as it DOES make a rustling noise when you move, but I prefer to think of it as the fabric "whispering sophistication" as it is often utilised for bridal, formal or "after five" wear. 


Finishing the ensemble are classic silver accessories in the form of a chunky silver cuff & thin silver hinged bangle, as well as a funky marbled shell necklace that sits right on the high, round neckline - giving an otherwise refined look a quirky edge. Shown in detail below, the necklace is a recent acquisition, paid for with the $50 voucher I won in the #KatiesStyle competition. 



As it turns out, the Blogger event was fantastic & I needn't have been concerned as the main piece of advice from all of the presenters was a resounding chorus of BE TRUE TO YOURSELF & YOUR VISION. 

So that's what I'll continue to do - put myself out there & share my life with you one outfit at a time...


No comments:

Post a Comment