Wednesday 19 November 2014

Like A Rolling Stone







*

Dress: Anthea Crawford taffeta
Heels: Target glitter
Clutch: Diana Ferrari patent
Belt: Blue Illusion
Hinged Bangle: Wallace Bishop silver & elastic
Bangle & Charms: Pandora
Ring: Pandora

*

Another of the world's most iconic bands made it back to our shores - that's right, the Stones rolled in & totally rocked out!


I don't have to tell long-time readers of this blog that 1970s music is alive & well at my house (it's practically all we listen to...) but it appears that the rest of the country has been following suit, with Neil Young, Cat Stevens (now Yusuf Islam), Bruce Springsteen, John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival, Donovan, Simon & Garfunkel & Bob Dylan playing sell-out shows in the last few years - some more than 40 years after their last visit!

I'm not sure what's causing the resurgence - perhaps recent social upheaval & economic turmoil wetting appetites for ditties from the "protest era," venting frustrations about governments and wars? Perhaps it's a desire to return to seemingly "simpler" times before social media & technology overload that has people yearning for folk music? Or maybe it's just the fact that new electronic tinkering/dubbing/auto-tuning is no substitute for the rawness of classic rock? All I know is, I'm loving it!

www.entertainmentdaily.com

I hardly need to say it, but the Rolling Stones were spectacular - an essentially well-oiled machine after so many years together, travelling the globe with their unique blend of bravado, gravitas, heartfelt balladeering on numbers like Angie & Wild Horses & rockstar swagger on hits like Jumping Jack Flash & (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. Furthermore, the ratio of "old stuff" to "new stuff" was spot-on. 

www.allmusic.com

A heady mix of sexuality & showmanship, as soon as they began to play, the years seemed to melt away & they become like the young men they had been. It really was a magical thing to witness. 



A possibly once-in-a-lifetime experience like this required an outfit to match & what better choice than the cobalt taffeta awesomeness that I wore to my birthday dinner & karaoke night? The divine fabric turns a myriad of blue shades under different lights, so would make a real statement so close to the stage. 



 This time, however, I opted for harder edged accessories, starting with a fierce pair of sky-high glitter platform heels & a black patent clutch & black stretch belt with silver clasp to draw attention to the avant garde cascading ruffle detail; working with a simple yet visually arresting tri-colour palette of blue, black & silver. 



To pick up on the silver, I added a chunky hinged bangle as well as a Pandora bangle with silver & black charms & the matching heart-shaped ring, pictured in detail below:



A slick of red lipstick, smoky eye, two coats of mascara & a hand through my hair to muss it up & I was ready to rock...



Franny's Top 5 Stones Classics

#1 Wild Horses

I watched you suffer a dull, aching pain
Now you've decided to show me the same
No sweeping exits or off-stage lines
Could make me feel bitter or treat you unkind

Wild horses couldn't drag me away
Wild, wild horses couldn't drag me away

#2 She's A Rainbow

Have you seen her dressed in blue?
See the sky in front of you
And her face is like a sail
Speck of white so fair and pale
Have you seen a lady fairer?

She comes in colours ev'rywhere
She combs her hair
She's like a rainbow

#3 You Can't Always Get What You Want

And I went down to the demonstration
To get my fair share of abuse
Singing, "We're gonna vent our frustration
And if we don't, we're gonna blow a 50 amp fuse"

You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well you just might find
You get what you need

#4 Angie

Angie, Angie, when will those clouds all disappear?
Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here?
With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied

But Angie, Angie, you can't say we never tried

#5 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

When I'm drivin' in my car
And that man comes on the radio
And he's telling me more and more
About some useless information 
Supposed to fire my imagination

I can't get no, no, no, no
Hey, hey, hey, that's what I say
I can't get no satisfaction


No comments:

Post a Comment