Saturday 8 November 2014

High Stakes


The final event of the Spring Racing Carnival, Stakes Day, is a comparatively low-key affair; a time to reflect on the beauty & splendour of the equine competitors, reminisce about past winners & instil a sense of the grandeur, spirit & tradition of horse racing in the next generation.

Lucky enough to be invited to attend a "High Stakes Fashion Luncheon: What to Wear" on Friday, I decided to evoke the past with an ensemble reminiscent of the 1940s... 








*

Dress: Anthea Crawford textured jacquard
Heels: Novo leather
Bag: Forever New straw & ribbon
Hat: Vintage, 1940s quilted cotton
Necklace: Adorne
Bracelet: Adorne

*

This gorgeous tangello hued textured floral jacquard dress with stunning portrait neckline really gives off that "war years" vibe when mixed with a pair of white pointy-toed pumps (or court shoes, as they used to be called) & a sweet picnic-basket-style handbag - complete with little twist clip to open! - decorated with pastel ribbon detailing on the sides. Minimal accessories were then added in the form of a matching pink & gold beaded necklace & bracelet for a modern take on the ever-popular strand of pearls.  


A vintage floral quilted cotton hat in a (predominantly) contrasting shade of green is the perfect finishing touch, adding an unexpected element & FRESH colour combination that elevates the entire look. 

As with the majority of my outfits for the 2014 Carnival, it's the quirky little vintage details that enhance the modern shapes & styles, making a BIG impact. The secret? Visiting my local antique shops, vintage boutiques, second-hand stores & flea markets to find something inexpensive & unique that will really turn heads! The saying goes that "one man's trash is another man's treasure" & I have found this to be abundantly true, as with out-of-the-box thinking even the most bizarre "bit of tat" can be spruced up & turned into a distinctive focal point. 

Speaking of vintage, this look had me humming that old Glenn Miller war-time ditty, Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree (With Anyone Else But Me), one of the highest-selling records of 1942...


Don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me
Anyone else but me, anyone else but me
No! No! No!
Don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me
Till I come marching home


Don't go walkin' down Lover's Lane with anyone else but me
Anyone else but me, anyone else but me
No! No! No!
Don't go walkin' down Lover's Lane with anyone else but me
Till I come marching home


FINAL NOTE:
Scroll down for pictures of the stunning Anthea Crawford "Spring Racing Promotion" corsage I was elated to receive. What a perfect way to end the season! The luscious, saturated coral/red of the petals is not only race-day appropriate, but will be the perfect additional "pop" of colour in a myriad of looks during the fast-approaching festive season...




No comments:

Post a Comment