Wednesday 27 May 2015

At Liberty











*

Dress: Gift, vintage Liberty House poly-blend
Heels: Target suede
Bag: Novo patent
Cuff: Disney Couture "Alice in Wonderland" silver
Ring: Disney Couture "Alice in Wonderland" silver

*

Finally posting some pictures of the outfit I wore to a meeting in Brisbane two weeks ago. Sorry for the delay, dear readers - it feels like sometimes I just can't keep up with outfits I post on Instagram every day... That's the life of a fashion blogger, I guess.


This gorgeous, monochromatic dress - given to me by the mother of a dear friend - is a 1970s vintage gem from Liberty House, an off-shoot of Liberty's department store in London... you know, the one that is not only famous for being crafted from the wood of East India Company ships but for creating those irresistible & eminently collectible "Liberty Print" scarves sold around the world. Yep, that one.


But I digress.

The sumptuous mixture of a graphic, stylised tribal pattern & a houndstooth print with black yoke insert & bright pink "pop of colour" is edgy & instantly arresting while the flowy, maxi-come-baby-doll-dress is relaxed & has a somewhat sweet vibe... a juxtaposition that I absolutely LOVE & that I often feel only comes from vintage clothes from the 1960s and 1970s when young women were finally "coming into their own," so to speak. 

Scroll down for a closer look at these funky prints in all their glory:



As Hannibal from The A Team often opined, "I love it when a plan comes together" & this is true when it comes to the choice of shoes for this outfit! These stunning pink suede, pointy-toed pumps (or court shoes, as my mother calls them) were from my local Target store for the princely sum of $10 & have definitely been good value in terms of their cost-per-wear ratio. The particular shade of pink just seems to "match" with a variety of patterns & trim in my wardrobe - though none more so than the piping detail on the yoke of this dress. What's more, the fact that the "pops of colour" are so far away from each other (neck & feet) has an elongating effect on my frame, which for someone who is only 5 foot tall is a fashion WIN.

I should also quickly mention my choice of handbag here - a boxy, black patent option from Novo - that was chosen to blend in with the black in the patterns of the dress in order to let the aforementioned "pops" of pink become the feature. 


Statement pieces of jewellery were chosen to accompany the look - a silver Disney Couture cuff & ring inspired by The Mad Hatter's Tea Party in "Alice in Wonderland" & designed by avant garde UK jeweller Tom Binns. The graphic elements echo those found in the print to create a cohesive look, as evidenced below: 



*

The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret: All the best people are."

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll, 1865

*

No comments:

Post a Comment