Monday 11 May 2015

Dedicated








*

Dress: Anthea Crawford textured jacquard
Coat: Gift, vintage Hong Kong silk
Heels: L&J suede
Bag: Novo patent
Bangle: Gift, vintage wood, bead
Cuff: Gift, Disney Couture silver
Ring: Gift, Disney Couture silver

*

After spending a wonderful evening together on Saturday night, we had the pleasure of attending Sweet Baby James' Dedication with the extended family on Sunday morning. Held during the Mothers Day Church Service, it was such a special moment, particularly for James' proud parents, Renee & Bill & the festivities continued afterwards with a light lunch of ribbon sandwiches, homemade sausage rolls, party pies, pavlova, double choc brownies & cake at their home.




"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you & not to harm you, plans to give you hope & a future. Then you will call on me & come & pray to me, & I will listen to you. You will seek me & find me when you seek me with all your heart." 
Jeremiah 29: 11-13


Clearly an outfit was required befitting two such special occasions & this "Oriental" themed, pattern-mixed dress & Opera Coat combination - a symphony of blue - was the perfect choice; classic & eclectic in equal measure with a touch of the "Phryne Fisher" thrown in for all the bookworms or box-watchers out there...


Those of you familiar with this blog will know how much I adore pattern-mixing & in this case, divergent floral patterns have been merged to create a sense of whimsy & sumptuousness. The "base" of the outfit, this stunning Anthea Crawford textured jacquard dress in shades of royal blue & teal has the portrait neckline that shows off my decolletage & drapery panels that whittle my waist while the vintage, collarless Opera Coat in a gorgeous Hong Kong silk - a belated birthday gift from a dear friend - sits perfectly beneath the folded neckline, shows off the pattern of the dress with the widely-cut side splits & finishes exactly at the dress' hemline for a clean look. And what's more, with a few quick rolls of the cuff, admirably displays a trio of funky jewellery pieces. 





One of my most pertinent styling tips revolves around the use of black accessories to "anchor" an otherwise multifarious ensemble & this technique was applied here - a pair of mid-heeled, black suede platforms from L&J chosen as a nod to the cooler Autumn weather & a boxy, black patent handbag from Novo to subtly dress the look down & render it smart-casual. 


As previously mentioned, a trio of jewellery pieces were chosen in shades of silver & black to provide visual interest without competing with the myriad of blue hues - a chunky, vintage Indian bangle made of wood & covered in mirrored, silver beads; a silver Disney Couture cuff made of miniature knives, forks & spoons denoting the Mad Hatter's Tea Party from one of my favourite tales, Alice in Wonderland & a 3D silver ring in the shape of the Mad Hatter's famed Top Hat, including the black suede hatband & the scrawled note: "In this Style 10/6." 


According to author Lewis Carroll (in Chapter 10 of The Nursery Alice), the reason for the note is as follows: "The Hatter used to carry about hats to sell: and even the one he's got on his head is meant to be sold. You see it's got its price marked on it - a "10" and a "6" - that means "ten shillings and sixpence." Wasn't that a funny way of selling hats?" 

Check out the jewellery in detail below:



*

Like Mother; Like Daughter...

Now that my outfit's been taken care of, here are a few pictures of the splendid, classy ensemble that my beloved Mother, Joanne, wore - a beautiful rose printed ponte dress by Anthea Crawford with asymmetrical neckline drapery & midi-hemline, red brushed cotton Maggie Q three-quarter sleeved coat with 3D rosettes around the collar & cuffs, an eye-catching silver, diamante & off-white pearl brooch in the shape of a flower & a pair of shiny black patent flats with fabric bows to dress the look down & keep it smart-casual. 

We certainly made a stylish pair!







*

And in case that's not enough, here's a few snaps of the "Woman of the Day" flanked by her children - myself & my younger brother Louis - as we headed to the Church Service & Dedication Ceremony in our finery...




*

Well, all that's left to do is take a little trip down memory lane & to say:

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY
to my first & best friend; greatest teacher; faithful confidant; biggest supporter... 
I love you more than words could ever hope to describe.


Backyard Bliss - Summer 1985/1986

*


Adding a little brother to the mix - 1989
And yes, I appear to be "digging for gold" but for some reason, my Mum still likes this picture. Mother Love, eh?

*


Christmas Morning Churchgoers 1991
Mum holding her 2 babies, me holding my 2 (new that morning, thank you Santa!) babies...

*


My Mother, Joanne (the little one on the left with the packet of chips) pictured with her older sisters, Susan (middle) & Glenda (right) & her mother, Marion at a School Ball in the 1960s

*


My Mother & her Mother, holding a little doll... ahem, Baby Franny... in 1984
And I still love a good hat all these years later!

*


In Loving Memory of my darling Grandmother, Marion. 
Gone 26 years but never forgotten. 
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, GRANDMA
Thank you for giving me one of the greatest gifts I have ever been blessed enough to receive, my own Mother, Joanne...

*


My Mother with her Mother-in-Law & Baby Franny in 1984, proudly defying the proliferation of MIL stereotypes...

*


In Loving Memory of my kindred spirit Nanna, Violet. 
Gone 24 years & sadly missed.
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, DEAR ONE
Thank you for giving me one of the most amazing gifts I have ever been blessed enough to receive, my Father, Rayne...

*


In Loving Memory of my wonderful Godmother, Frances, my Mother's oldest & dearest friend who I am both humbled & honoured to be named after. If I can be even half as kind, caring, generous, supportive & compassionate - particularly with my own Goddaughter, Tobin - I would be one blessed woman.
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, GODMOTHER
Thank you for my Mother. I am forever grateful.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment