Saturday 8 October 2016

Going Downton













*

Dress: Review silk & lace
Wrap: Gift, faux fur with satin lining
Heels: Betts for Her suede lace-up with gold hardware
Clutch: Morgan & Taylor printed silk
Bangle: Disney Couture "Mad Hatter's Tea Party" gold & resin
Hinged Bangle: Disney Couture "Cinderella" gold & resin
Bracelet with Charm: Ahmet's Turkish Restaurant beads

*

This may seem out of left-field, but what I am really LOVING right now is the fact that with the current Gogglebox phenomenon - multiple seasons, multiple countries, multiple awards - it's more acceptable to not only admit to watching (ahem, hours of) television but also go "on the record" saying how much I absolutely ADORE it! We all know that real life can be difficult sometimes & television provides a wonderful, visceral escape right when it's needed most. Frankly, I don't buy into that pseudo-scientific guff about people's brains being "inactive" while they watch the "idiot box," as I'm always interacting in some way while watching my favourite shows: making hilarious little quips (well, in my mind anyway...) to those around me, texting my friends about shows we love, challenging myself with a myriad of game shows & of course, freaking out about the fates of certain characters...


Why am I telling you this? Well, it's because I'm finally posting outfit pictures from the day I spent celebrating all things Downton Abbey with dear friends near & far. The British drama about the titled Crawley family, their servants & the Georgian pile they reside in during the turbulent early 1900s ended its six year run in December 2015 but the memories remain... the amazing storytelling (who could forget the car accident that cut short the life of new father Matthew), fabulous characterisation (I've always had a soft spot for black-rain-cloud Edith, myself) & historically-accurate setting & costumes (obviously the 1920s Art Deco period was my jam) that render it a television classic.


With my outfit, I tried to capture some of that prim & proper British magic with a touch of modern flair, beginning with this vintage blush satin & faux fur cape (gifted by a dear friend) to ward off the late-Winter breeze & a stunning blush satin & lace shift dress with elbow-length sleeves, satin cowl neckline with dipped back & embroidered peplum detail from Aussie brand Review for a truly feminine silhouette. 

Scroll down to check it out in all its glory...








When it came to accessories, contemporary was the way to go - a pair of (dare I say it?) sexy hot pink suede peeptoe stiletto heels with gold back zipper & lace-up ankle straps from Betts for Her & a florid silk Morgan & Taylor barrel-shaped clutch from my local Myer store for a pop of colour & modicum of print. Kitsch jewellery was also the order of the day - a chunky gold & blue hinged bangle replete with a scene of the carriage from "Cinderella" & a gold & pink bangle with diamante detail & Cheshire Cat charms from "Alice in Wonderland;" both from Disney Couture & a beaded Turkish "evil eye protection" bracelet with charm from Ahmet's Turkish Restaurant at Southbank Parklands.

Keep scrolling for a closer view...



Finishing the look was my trademark super-straight brunette haircut, complete with fringe (how Art Deco!) & a slick of Revlon lipstick in a shade called "Romance."



*

No comments:

Post a Comment