Wednesday 29 May 2019

Epistle on Dresses













*

Dress: Anthea Crawford embroidered mesh, lace
Anorak: Events Clothing via Lifeline Brisbane organza, satin
Ankle Boots: Wittner patent leather
Bag: French Connection suede with silver hardware
Bracelets: Ahmet's Turkish Restaurant beads
Ring: Chapel Hill State School Fete silver, bead

*

Dresses are the epitome of effortless chic; the one piece wardrobe saviour that's ready-to-go with just a few accessories, saving you time in your busy schedule that would be otherwise spent trying to match a top to a skirt or blouse to a pair of pants. Truthfully, I never used to love dresses when I was younger... in fact, I hated them, favouring overalls or jumpsuits as a child, grunge-style khaki cargo pants with polo shirts as a teenager & mini skirts with a variety of oversized tops while at university. I guess I was just uncomfortable in dresses because I never considered myself to be a truly "girly" girl as I was always quite boisterous, full of my own strong opinions with a tendency to play in the mud & get quite dirty; moreover as I grew older I was adamant that no singular piece of clothing would suit my own unique bodyshape (short waisted, large busted, slim around the hips, shapely if not lengthy legs & tapered ankles)... That's the thing, though, there IS a dress out there to suti everyone, regardless of your bodytype, age, aesthetic or budget; it's just a matter of finding it, possibly altering it to fit perfectly (finding a good tailor or alterations lady is my number one style tip... I am such good friends with mine that she pretty much already knows what I'm going to ask her to do, what length to take hemlines up to & how much to take from the shoulders without  me even having to articulate it) & accessorising it to make your particular sartorial statement.

For me, I love a "pretty" or "classic" dress silhouette - usually a shift dress or fit-to-flare but sometimes a funky, well-cut smock will fit the bill - with an edgy shoe choice (usually a chunky ankle boot, stacked-heel sandal or perforated leather brogue), bohemian accents including woven jackets, unexpected shapes or fabrics, vintage or heavily beaded jewellery, pattern-mixed scarves in varying fabrics, faux fur gilets to add textural interest. 

This particular look, worn to host a recent styling session/expedition at DFO Brisbane Airport with a group of lovely ladies, is a case in point: a stunning, oriental floral embroidered mesh shift dress with baroque lace hemline hitting just under the knee; black organza anorak with satin piping & mismatched buttons from Events Clothing that I found in the Lifeline Op Shop in the middle of the city for the grand sum of $8 in perfect condition except for a few missing buttons; shiny black patent pointy-toed ankle boots from Wittner to elongate my frame; boxy black suede handbag with oversized silver handles from French Connection to carry all the essentials & finally, an armful of colourful, "evil eye" beaded bracelets from Ahmet's Turkish Restaurant with matching silver & blue "evil eye" beaded ring from a stall at the Chapel Hill School Fete to add those hippie/boho touches that were mentioned earlier.




No comments:

Post a Comment