Thursday 18 May 2017

Quilted







*

Dress: Anthea Crawford jersey & twill
Sneakers: Country Road satin & rubber
Bag: Catherine by Catherine Malandrino leather with silver hardware
Scarf: Botanical Gardens Markets handmade silk, felt
Cuff: Gift, vintage Tibetan silver & semi-precious stone

*

Finally posting pictures from a day exploring all that my hometown has to offer with a trip to the Ipswich Art Gallery's Wartime Quilts Exhibit & St Paul's Quilt Show & Handmade Expo, followed by a delicious mother/daughter lunch at Fourth Child Cafe/Restaurant & rummage around at the Ipswich Antique Centre. 

For the occasion, I decided to bust out one of my newest Anthea Crawford dresses with a sleeved navy jersey bodice & Autumnal floral twill 1950s style skirt; mixing it with a pair of comfortable new-season emerald satin sneakers from Country Road, grey vinyl crossbody bag with laser-cut flower embellished strap from Catherine by Catherine Malandrino, a tie dyed, felted scarf from the Botanical Gardens Markets & a chunky Tibetan silver & semi-precious stone vintage cuff that once belonged to a dear friend of mine.

Scroll down to see how the rest of the day unfolded... including a little peek at some of the unbelievable quilts made by members of the military & in some cases, their wives back at home in conflicts including the Napoleonic Wars, Boer War, Anglo-Zulu War, World Wars, Korean War, Vietnam War & even modern day conflicts in Afghanistan & Iraq. Honestly, it is truly breathtaking what has been created, in some cases uses the barest of materials - predominantly military uniforms - by individuals who had no prior training or instruction. If you were undecided on whether to visit, it is highly recommended!

















Joanne posing inside the gallery, wearing a gorgeous chandelier-printed cotton dress with peplum detail from Anthea Crawford, black "crackled" leather brogues from Rosco & a vinyl handbag from Basque at Myer. Nothing short of monochrome magic!








The church where my parents were married, where my brother & I were baptised, where my Nanna was farewelled & where my own Goddaughter was baptised many years later...











Truly a hidden gem, Fourth Child is well worth a visit! The food is utterly scrumptious, the prices reasonable & the service is impeccable! 



Shirley Temple; the name alone makes me want to order the drink... I'm a big fan!
It's a bit of an American thing, so I'll fill you in - it's ginger ale, lemonade, grenadine & fresh strawberries & incredibly refreshing to boot!


Chunky Meat Pie with Potatoes Gratin & Side Salad


Hummingbird Cake & two of my all-time favourite flowers, pansies & snapdragons!


Snapdragons remind me of a next-door neighbour we once had when I was a little girl. I absolutely adored Ray, although some people may have suggested that he was a bit of a curmudgeon. I loved the way he was so precise, his garden was so neat & tidy (he even trimmed the grass around the birdbath with nail scissors for accuracy) & absolutely FULL of blooming flowers, including the snapdragons he would so patiently allow me to pinch & "snap" over & over again. He was always there when you needed him with practical help & advice; you just felt safe with someone so capable living right next door. And the best part? He answered each & every one of the questions I asked him without ever sounding condescending or impatient or implying that I was a small child who should be "seen & not heard." This picture is for you, Ray. I hope you know how much you meant to me.



The best way to end the day - a little bit of browsing at the local antique store! Needless to say, I didn't walk away empty-handed...



*


No comments:

Post a Comment