Sunday 18 January 2015

Intergalactic Lantern







*

Dress: Elk silk
Wrap: Elk silk
Sandals: Bare Traps
Bag: Gift, Vintage "carved nut" from India
Watch: Guess rose gold, silver & diamante
Cuff: Gift, Vintage aluminium & semi-precious stones
Ring: Vintage, Cameo (belonged to Aunty Emily)

*

Getting "out of this world" in a stunning silk dress with matching wrap from Melbourne-based clothing & accessory company, Elk. There are many interpretations as to the print on this fabric, but to me, it looks like abstract stars & galaxies, so that's what I'm going with, particularly considering the avant garde lantern shape & thick, cape-style wrap with tie that has a bit of a "Starship Trooper" vibe, in my opinion. 

...All I need now is a space helmet that won't ruin my hairdo...


To go with the avant garde design, I have an equally eccentric vintage handbag made in India & a gift from a dear friend that is carved entirely from the shell of a nut! The only nod to the 1970s is the patchwork leather strap in shades of brown, tan, blue & bronze; the latter matching the embellished bronze sandals with comfortable "kitten" heels. 

For a closer look at what I have affectionately dubbed "the nutbag," scroll down:



As far as the jewellery was concerned, I took the opportunity to "mix metals," wearing a rose gold & silver watch with little diamantes that had been a 30th birthday present, a vintage rose gold aluminum cuff - also made in India, also from the 1970s & also a thoughtful gift - with 11 different coloured diamantes & a rose gold Cameo ring on my pointer finger that once belonged to my Aunty Emily, who wore it on her pinky. Although they don't strictly "match" the bronze diamantes on the straps of my shoes, the rose gold & silver metals tone in with the colours on the dress to create an overall cohesive look.

Detailed pictures available below:



And just to finish, here are a few pictures of the ensemble without the matching wrap to get an idea of the true cut of the scoop neckline & shape of the sides...





*

No comments:

Post a Comment