Wednesday 22 August 2018

Japanese Garden



*

Dress: Veronika Maine devore
Jacket: Gift, vintage handpainted cotton kimono
Ankle Boots: Wittner patent & matte leather
Tights: Razzamatazz 40 denier nylon
Bag: Pigeonhole leather
Necklace: Handmade, faceted beads, tulle, glitter paint

*





What better place than the tranquil surroundings of the Mt Coot tha Botanic Gardens' celebrated Japanese Garden to showcase the beauty of one of my best-loved winter ensembles? Designed for Expo 88 by one of Japan's most revered landscape architects, the late Kenzo Ogata (1912-1988), the garden combines native & exotic plants suitable for Queensland's tropical climate, laid out according to the principles of "tsuki-yama-chisen" or mountain-pond-stream. The unique "s" shape configuration means that as visitors approach the vegetation area, the next section is hidden from view (& so forth) adding the element of surprise & delight that I have endeavoured to capture in this succession of photographs. 

As previously mentioned, this 1920s-flapper-inspired outfit is one of my favourites, not least due to the pleasing colour palette of purplish hues that I have built around the so-called "hero" piece: a stunning, drop-waisted, spotted devore dress with ruffled, high/low hemline & voluminous "choir boy" sleeves from Australian label Veronika Maine that I was lucky to snag before it completely sold out! The drop-waist shape was a really popular silhouette this season & there are still many options out there for those hoping to recreate this look, but just make sure that the bodice is boxy enough to look intentional & the ruffled hem hits just beneath the knee if, like me, you aren't much taller than 5 foot. 

In keeping with the "roaring twenties" vibe, I chose a beautiful, handmade & hand painted cotton kimono in shades of blush, purple & pink that my younger brother found at a vintage fair & presented to me for my birthday. The lighter background colour of the kimono really helps to "lift" the otherwise dark look & the fact that it is a one-off, veritable work of art provides a memorable point of difference that sensitively harks back to the era of Eastern Influence in fashion. For more inspiration, I would suggest watching a few episodes of ABC's Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, as costume designer Marion Boyce has a penchant for adding sumptuous oriental elements to elevate Phryne's look & play into that Mitford sisters' "Hons & Rebels" mystique.












When it came to footwear, I just couldn't look past my trusty black patent leather ankle boots with button details from Wittner, as they just seem to transcend time periods & work with absolutely EVERYTHING... particularly when matched with a pair of 40 denier nylon tights from Razzamatazz to keep my legs feeling toasty. Honestly, these boots are the best cost-per-wear pair that I have ever purchased, the ankle length ideal for the micro-winters that Queensland is famous for. I will be seriously gutted when these babies finally "bite the dust" & am already stalking the Wittner website (as well as Styletread to hedge my bets) for a replacement...

Speaking of amazing cost-per-wear, I just have to draw attention the matte black leather shoulder bag that I picked up from the Pigeonhole store in Brisbane's Wintergarden. It's compact, sleek & modern yet fits SO MUCH in that I feel like Mary Poppins with her carpet bag, proving that it's important to check out the smaller, independent boutiques as well as the larger department stores... you never know what treasures may await you.

To complete the look, I chose a single piece of jewellery (handmade by me) that really makes a statement - the art deco inspired, long strand of faceted beads, looped around twice & accentuated by the crushed tulle "flowers" that I daubed with glitter glue for a touch of daytime sparkle.




Scroll down for a peek at the outfit without the kimono...

























No comments:

Post a Comment