Saturday 4 April 2015

Austen










*

Dress: Eplisse lace & chiffon
Heels: Bon Bons patent
Bag: Vintage, beaded
Headpiece: Lovisa faux flower
Necklace & Locket: Prouds silver
Bangle: Gift, vintage silver

*

www.jasna.org 


Finally posting some pictures from what seems like a long ago dancing-class-with-a-difference, where we focused on learning the steps from English Regency (sometimes known as English Country) Dances such as "La Boulangere," the only one to be mentioned in a Jane Austen novel. Seeing that I am quite the Austen fan... well, not as much as the Bronte sisters, but I DO adore Pride & Prejudice (1813) in particular... I was suitably chuffed with this turn of events...



Capturing this era (1811-1820) in modern clothing was actually quite daunting, as I don't often wear empire-line line dresses with midi-length, flowing skirts... Luckily for me, I remembered this fabulous Eplisse number that I last wore to a 2014 Christmas Party & suddenly everything fell into place. Made of a beautifully pleated chiffon with rolled hem to movement & possessed of a well-placed scoop neckline & bodice in a black lace overlay, the dress captured the essence of the period perfectly while remaining firmly in the present-day with its monochromatic colour palette. 


As usual, I donned my comfortable yet stylish "dancing shoes" - a pair of black patent Mary Janes - & carried my vintage black beaded evening bag for a bit of festive daytime sparkle. After all, why not? Attending a brilliant dancing class for relaxation & enjoyment, surrounded by new friends, calls for a little something special, don't you think?!? 


When it came to jewellery & accessories, once again I kept it minimal (to avoid any possible projectiles while dipping & spinning, you know how it is when effort & desire outstrips ability & natural talent...) with a monochromatic faux-flower headband, vintage silver fleur de lis hinged bangle with dainty safety chain & large, circular locket containing pictures of my beloved mother & father. Lockets were extremely popular during the Regency Era, containing both painted "miniature" portraits of loved ones or "cameo" silhouetted representations/interpretations of their facial features. 

Scroll down for a closer look at mine:




*

And for my fellow Mr Darcy lovers out there, I just couldn't resist... 

Truth be told, the entire time I was learning the steps, this dialogue was running through my mind, leading not only to a few clumsy mis-steps & a complete mental blank on exactly which way to "progress down the line," as it were, but to what is perhaps my favourite 15 word sentence in the entire history of literature, also shared below...



*




1 comment: