Wednesday 8 April 2015

Divine Secrets...






*

Dress: Ruby Yaya silk & diamante
Vest: Navies Jewellers chiffon
Sandals: Betts for Her patent gladiators
Bag: Gift, leather (from China)
Scarf: Sportsgirl chiffon
Cuff: Gift, gold (from Jenny)
Ring: Colette gold & resin

*

Finally posting pictures of one of my best-loved summertime outfits this year... that I actually wore a mere 3 week ago during an early-Autumn heatwave. Oh, Queensland, how you love to surprise, delight & sometimes outright horrify... 

But back to the outfit. 

This stunning silk drawstring maxi dress with tie straps & diamante detail down the front panel is another great buy from the Ruby Yaya brand that seems to be taking Instagram by storm. And for good reason: not only is the style, print & fabric bang-on, the price is absolutely right. If you would like to check it out for yourself, 2 of my favourite places to purchase pieces from the range are Figure 8 Fashion Boutique in my home-town of Ipswich & selected Dissh stores at Mt Ommaney & Indooroopilly Shoppingtown, as well as from the Dissh online store, accessed here. It's only a matter of time before I add yet another vibrant beauty to my collection...


To cover up any bra-strap slippage as well as provide a modicum of sun protection in the 39 degree heat, I added a sleeveless vest made from floaty, black chiffon to the look, also sourced locally at Navies Jewellers in Ipswich City Square. The long-line cut works well with the shape of the maxi dress - that I have subtly changed with my usual "rubber band" trick as I am a petite 5 feet tall - & the movement of the fabric is in keeping with the relaxed bohemian vibe; offering coverage without the bulk. 


Longtime readers of this blog will know all about my penchant (some may say obsession...) for pattern-mixing & I've really gone to town with this look. Well, truth be told, some of it has already been done for me by the talented team at Ruby Yaya, who have expertly layered photo-print jewels in shades of red, yellow & apple green over a busy green & black "giraffe" print base but I have taken it up a notch by adding a small-scale daisy print scarf to my handbag. Why does this work? Basically it's because the black & yellow colours of the scarf print are already inherent in the patterns of the dress & the scale of the print is so much smaller that it doesn't compete with the overall look, it merely enhances the brilliant chaos already created. 


My trusty pair of black patent gladiators were chosen for a touch of laid-back glam & a bright yellow leather handbag to pick up on the yellow in the print of the dress' front panel. Jewellery was kept to a minimum - an edgy gold "Wonder Woman" or warrior-style cuff & a large gold ring with orange oval resin insert, a little nod to the fact that the day I wore this look was actually Harmony Day, which encourages all of us to stamp out bullying in all of its forms & be mindful of how we treat others. See both pieces in detail below:



And in case you wanted more, here's a few shots of the ensemble without the vest... just perfect for an afternoon spent relaxing in the backyard with a cold drink, enjoying the breeze blowing across the paddock beyond...






UPDATED: For those who asked, the name/title of the post is a nod to the Rebecca Wells' novel, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, published in 1996 & subsequently made into a 2002 film starring Sandra Bullock, Ashley Judd, James Garner & the illustrious Maggie Smith. The brand of dress is Ruby YAYA, so it just seemed to fit...



*


"...I wanna live, I wanna give..."

Heart of Gold - Neil Young (1972)

Sing it, Neil...

*

No comments:

Post a Comment