Thursday 3 September 2015

1973





*

Dress: Vintage, Ralston elastane
Jacket: Katies jersey
Boots: City Chic leather
Bag: Novo patent
Ring: Colette silver, diamate & bead

*

Wintertime is pretty much a distant memory in Queensland now, with temperatures steadily climbing even before September 1, so I thought it best to post the pictures of this cold-weather ensemble BEFORE I start uploading ones of myself in my new pair of swimming togs or something of that ilk... I suppose that's what you get when the day starts out at a far-more-than-brisk 3 degrees & ends up a balmy 27!

But I digress. The outfit at hand...



I picked up this amazing, "trippy" early 1970s "flower power" mini - with long sleeves & high, sculpted neckline - at a vintage store on the Gold Coast called Retro Sheila. The store may be small & may open at odd times of the day (or week!) but the stock is pretty darn amazing - & should be, considering the fact that the manager sources quite a lot of the pieces from "down south" in Melbourne or Sydney, as well as Europe & America for a truly varied mix & eclectic trip down "memory lane."

The morning chill factor meant that a further layer was required & this black blazer from Katies was the perfect addition; the cuffed, three-quarter sleeves enabling the dress' vibrant pattern to peek out while the soft jersey "waterfall" front panels allowed the "space age" neckline to remain the focus.


Knee high leather boots from City Chic & a pair of 40 denier Razzamatazz tights kept my legs warm despite the short, A-line of the dress, while a boxy, black patent handbag from Novo held all of my essentials.


And finally, a chunky silver, diamante & semi-precious stone cocktail ring from Colette was worn to draw all of the colours together while lending that touch of daytime sparkle I am so fond of, especially during the sometimes gloomy Winter months. Check it out in detail below, along with the Sportsgirl vinyl clutch - embossed with the kitschy phrase "Secretly Famous" - that I carried swapped the boxy handbag for in order to transition the look from "day to night."


Many I have loved; many times been bitten
Many times I've gazed along the open road
Many times I have lied; may times I've listened
Many times I've wondered how much there is to know

Over the Hills & Far Away - Led Zepplin (1973)
From the incendiary album - with memorable cover art - Houses of the Holy. In my opinion, it's one of their BEST & certainly creates that boho, hippie, early 70s psychedelic vibe... Well worth a listen if you've never seen or heard it before!

*

No comments:

Post a Comment