Friday 4 September 2020

Bumble






Sharing something a little bit different on the blog today in the form of these gorgeous pictures of some of the bumble bees that have made my backyard/garden a haven. Now more than ever, it is important to work together to protect these insects that are so vital to the world's ecosystems, performing approximately 80% of pollination worldwide, roughly equating to 70 out of the top 100 human food crops that supply 90% of the world's nutrition. As a family, we have tried to "do our part" to help Save the Bees by planting flowers, herbs & shrubs that they are attracted to & providing bee "rest stops" (protected areas like bird houses) painted with a concoction of water & honey that allow them to refuel & escape any potential predators. 

Many beekeepers believe that bumble bees can pick up on the feelings & emotions of the human beings around them & I honestly echo this sentiment as while taking these photographs, the bees were flying around me but were not concerned by the clicking of my phone camera or the fact that I was edging closer & closer to them as they flitted from flower to flower. They didn't try to sting as they obviously didn't consider me to be a threat... at least, I hope that was the case.

Anyway, I hope that you, my lovely readers, find these pictures to be as interesting & amazing as I do - particularly seeing that many people aren't able to see bees up this close themselves for a variety of reasons - & it inspires you to raise awareness of the plight of these busy little pollinators. Make sure you look closely at the photographs to see the orange/red/yellow "pollen pouches" or "saddle bags" (corbicula) on the hind legs of some of the bees that allows them to transport more pollen back to the hive... especially obvious in the extreme close-ups.




















No comments:

Post a Comment