Saturday 20 June 2015

With The Band








*

Dress: Anthea Crawford brocade
Coat: Taking Shape (TS) devore
Heels: Bon Bons patent
Bag: Vintage, beaded & silver (once belonged to Aunty Janet)
Bangle: Vintage, silver
Cuff: Gian Paolo Maria of Paris silver, Swarovski crystal & semi-precious stones
Ring: Swarovski silver, crystal & semi-precious stones

*


After some unavoidable technical difficulties, I am finally posting all of the outfit pictures from my second marvelous experience seeing The Glenn Miller Orchestra. Long time readers of this blog may remember the first time I had the pleasure of hearing them play on a Saturday night a little over a year ago, when I attended with my family - you can read all about it by clicking here - but this time, I headed to the weekday matinee with my dear friend Matilda, who was desperate to see them live after spending many years listening to records & watching the original band in scenes from the 1953 movie.


The Glenn Miller Story, made not long after his untimely death & featuring the wonderful Jimmie Stewart - due, I'm sure, to his almost uncanny resemblance to the man in question - was, incidentally, how I first discovered the "Miller Magic" for myself, working my way through the catalogue of Stewart movies (It's A Wonderful Life, Harvey, Rear Window, The Philadelphia Story were the highlights; Westerns including the heartbreaking Shenandoah were the low-lights) before stumbling on it second-to-last & falling head over heels for the tale of the poor trombone-player-turned-big-band-leader-turned-fighter-pilot & his devoted wife. Cue hours spent sourcing records filled with the hits I loved including Pennsylvania 6-5000, In The Mood, Chattanooga Choo Choo, The White Cliffs of Dover & the celebrated Moonlight Serenade.


Sadly, Miller himself did not live long enough to enjoy the success he had worked so hard for or the longevity of the unique sound he created with the band he formed in 1937 - perishing in an aviation "incident" over the English Channel in 1944 - but his music lives on in the other dedicated musicians - trumpeters, trombone players, reeds, drums, piano, bass - as well as singers & dancers, who travel the world as members of The Glenn Miller Orchestra. In fact, Miller's wartime sacrifice is the very reason the orchestra returned to Australia so very soon - to commemorate the Centenary of ANZAC.


With all this in mind, the outfit had to be something special - something I could twirl around the dance floor in, should the opportunity arise - & this gorgeous monochromatic dress & jacket combo was ideal; a modern take on a 1930s/1940s ensemble...


The stunning brocade shift from Anthea Crawford, with its high neckline & below-the-knee hem was the perfect base for the sumptuous Taking Shape 3/4 sleeved, fringed devore jacket dotted with flocked birds (ravens perhaps, I'm not so sure...) & finished with an oriental-style toggle. Scroll down for a closer look at each element in turn:




Black patent Mary-Jane-style heels from Bon Bons were chosen in a nod to the era, as well as a vintage silver & black beaded evening bag - that once belonged to my Great Aunty Janet - for a touch of daytime sparkle. 


When it came to jewellery, I decided to go all-out: a vintage, brushed silver bangle that a friend brought back from India, a chunky silver Gian Paolo Maria cuff from Lannah Dunn, made in Paris & covered in Swarovski crystals & semi-precious stones & the matching Swarovski cocktail ring inset with the same. Check them out in detail below:


My hair was brushed into a blunt bob, as usual - somehow I just KNEW that "Victory Rolls" wouldn't work in my sleek tresses - but when it came to make-up, a bold & bright Revlon red lip was the ideal finishing touch to the entire outfit. 


A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I got a gal in Kalamazoo
Don't wanna boast but I know she's the toast of Kalamazoo-zoo-zoo-zoo-zoo-zoo
Years have gone by, my my how she grew
I liked her looks when I carried her books in Kalamazoo-zoo-zoo-zoo-zoo

(I've Got A Gal In) Kalamazoo - The Glenn Miller Band/Orchestra (1942)

*

No comments:

Post a Comment