Sunday 24 July 2016

Tulle & Lace & Sparkle... Oh My!




"A dream is a wish your heart makes."

Finally posting all the pictures of the outfit I wore to attend a ballet performance of Cinderella (one of my all-time favourite fairytales) as a birthday treat! Avid readers of this blog will already know what a balletomane I am - particularly with regards to the costumes - & this definitely influenced my choice of attire... a veritable barrage of all things tulle, lace, feather & sparkle... Go ahead, take a closer look...










*

Dress: Chi Chi London mesh, tulle, lace, embroidery
Heels: Novo patent leather
Bag: Gift, vintage glitter resin, metal
Bangles: Gift (from India) metal, wood, beads
Watch: Vintage, brasss (belonged to my Nanna)
Headpiece: Gift, feathers, glitter, beading

*


When it came to choosing the perfect dress, there was only one option as far as I was concerned: this divine fit-to-flare midi-length prom dress from Chi Chi London (gifted by a dear friend) in a dramatic dark hue with burnished gold floral embroidery on the bodice & the layered tulle skirt; the thin, shoestring straps edged with a contrasting scalloped floral lace. Scroll down to see it in its unencumbered glory...







As usual, I donned my usual black, closed-toe platforms to "anchor" the look but they just weren't fanciful enough... Cue these shiny, dainty beauties from Novo with art deco inspired t-bar straps, adding height & elongating my legs while acting as the epitome of comfort - & all this without having to add any of those gel-patch-thingies that they advertise on the television during typically "girly" shows like Love Child or Offspring. There isn't much more you can ask from a formal shoe, is there? 

The touch of whimsy continued with my choice of handbag - a glittery, gold resin "hard case" purse from the 1950s that a dear friend gave me for my 3oth birthday that picked up on the delicate, hand-embroidery that I spoke about earlier. In the interest of full-disclosure, I will admit that I purchased a small blush coloured felt pouch with a drawstring closure (from a shop called Cinta in Ipswich City Square) to fit inside the bag & carry all of my essentials as I don't particularly relish members of the public knowing exactly what I'm carrying with me at any given time.



Avid readers of this blog probably already know that when it comes to jewellery, my motto is "More is More" & this was certainly the case, as I stacked sparkly Indian bangles in shades of black, silver, gold & pink on my right arm (gifted by a dear friend who used to live there) & left the other arm bare save for a delicate vintage brass watch that once belonged to my Nanna & was lovingly restored to its former (read: working) state thanks to my parents.





Finally, there is the headpiece - a feather & bead creation akin to what is worn by ACTUAL ballerinas & brought all the way from London for me to wear for the occasion. Keep scrolling to see it up close...



*

No comments:

Post a Comment