Saturday 25 November 2017

New Farmers







*

Dress: Saylor & Saige silk chiffon
Slip: Taking Shape elastane
Brogues: Country Road leather
Bag: Forever New vinyl with silver hardware
Bracelet: Gift, Kellie's Antiques Victorian silver

*

After seeing Kenneth Branagh's new interpretation of Agatha Christie's masterpiece "Murder on the Orient Express" for the second time in as many weeks at Event Cinemas, Indooroopilly today, it got me thinking about the previous weekend spent hanging out in New Farm with my younger brother Louis before immersing ourselves in the world of a certain Belgian detective... 


Queensland weather can be unpredictable but one thing is commonplace & that's the heat & humidity, particularly at this time of year. The cooler, rainy weather we've been experiencing has been an absolute DELIGHT & because I know it won't last & we'll be back to dry conditions & heatwaves before too long, I've really been savoring every single moment, wearing some of my more elaborate ensembles replete with billowy sleeves or copious layers... all the while resting my aching feet by donning comfortable & stylish flat man-style brogues! The stunning silk chiffon Saylor & Saige dress I wore last Saturday was chosen specifically for its 1930s vibe & was so sheer (despite the tiered ruffles) with its mauve, grey & rose smoke floral print that a flesh-tone slip from Taking Shape was needed underneath for modesty's sake. As previously alluded to, I wore a pair of matte silver leather brogues from Country Road & carried a pale pink vinyl handbag with silver hardware from Forever New. Jewellery was kept simple with a chunky Victorian silver bracelet with oversized silver heart locket & teeny tiny key from Kellie's Antiques in the Brisbane Arcade, kindly gifted to me one Christmas by a dear, dear friend. 

As always, scroll down to see how the day unfolded & for my brief review of the film...



Stopping for brunch at Brio Breakfast in Newstead, one of our all-time favourite haunts. I couldn't go past the Spicy Corn Fritters with Haloumi Cheese & Poached Egg with Hash Browns on the Side, washed down with one of their inimitable Banana & Peanut Butter Smoothies!



This is what happens when you try to make a break for it between torrential downpours because out of all days, THIS IS WHEN YOU FORGET TO BRING AN UMBRELLA! You really just have to laugh... or in this case, document it with a brother/sister selfie.



Keeping with the theme & drooling over exquisite art deco bookends at one of the best antique stores that I've ever had the pleasure of exploring - Commercial Road Antiques in Teneriffe.




Skipping down the tree-line streets, past old houses, in between scuds of rain...


Two eager Agatha Christie fans at the New Farm Cinema!


MY VERDICT?

Avid readers of this blog probably already know that I am a die-hard (ha! get it) fan of Agatha Christie's work & murder mysteries books, movies & television shows in general & when remakes of my favourites come along (sometimes all-too-often) I get a little bit concerned that the original material will be changed beyond recognition. This particular interpretation of "Murder on the Orient Express" is striking similar to the Peter Ustinov films of the 1970s & early 1980s, of which I am a big fan. Kenneth Branagh's Poirot wasn't perfect - in truth I much prefer the way the David Suchet portrays the obstinate & particular Belgian - but much better than Albert Finney in the version with Lauren Bacall. 

Obviously there were slight changes to the material to account for modern sensibilities & tastes but I am happy to report that it wasn't too egregious. This new type of Poirot is slightly more "athletic" than perhaps Ms Christie planned for him to be & there are several scenes where he uses his walking cane (purported to be expensive) to subdue an opponent. Moreover, there is a scene where HE SHARES A DESSERT (a second fork is asked for) with another traveler on the Orient Express, which I just don't believe that the character would actually allow himself to do. Poirot doesn't share food. Furthermore, there is more gunplay than is written into the original & for me, a question mark over issues of what would/could actually be logistically possible & Bouc's involvement in the crime. I won't say anything more about this, however, in case some readers haven't read the book or seen a previous interpretation as I would hate to ruin the plot twist.

Regardless, I enjoyed the film - enough to see it twice, I might add... & not just because of the gorgeous Tom Bateman, who was a favourite of mine from the short-lived television series "Jekyll & Hyde."

*

No comments:

Post a Comment