Friday 6 March 2015

Fashion Formula #1






*

Dress: Anthea Crawford textured jacquard
Heels: Novo satin platforms
Bag: Vintage, 1970s Glomesh
Necklace: Eb & Ive wooden beaded
Cuff: Gian Paolo Maria @ Lannah Dunn silver, crystal & semi-precious stone
Ring: Swarovski crystal & semi-precious stone
Ring: Gift, silver marcasite & mother-of-pearl

*

Finally posting pictures from my latest forays into the world of fashion - previews of some of the Autumn/Winter 2015 collections! Not that the weather co-operated; in fact the early Autumn days were some of the hottest in Queensland's history. Nonetheless, it remains clear that SHOULD the weather cool down... you know, eventually... there are some ah-mazing options in many Brisbane stores! 

But I digress... 

Knowing that not only did I have 2 days mingling with some of my personal style heroes & assorted fashion royalty but adverse weather conditions & public transport to contend with, I devised what I am calling a "fashion formula" to get me through & keep me looking stylish & pulled together. Basically, it goes like this:

Ladylike Dress + Unexpected Heels + Eclectic Bag + Statement Necklace = Look of the Day


This light-weight, duck-egg-blue "Swiss Dot" textured jacquard dress with pleated v-neckline detail & waist darts was the ideal choice, the hue cool & calming in the rising temperatures, particularly when mixed with sky-high watercolour floral print silk peeptoe platforms for that "I wish I was at the beach or by the water, but sadly I'm not so I'm making the best of it here in the City, surrounded by sky-scrapers & automobile fumes" vibe...


Speaking of coastal style, this statement multi-strand necklace from "boho" brand Eb & Ive - made from wooden beads spray-painted with silver paint - also harkens back to a place I'd rather be, bringing beach to the big smoke & sitting perfectly on my decolletage to bring further interest to the dress' stunning neckline. Moreover, the silver really "pops" against the blue of the dress for a fresh daytime look. 


High-end jewellery was then mixed with the necklace for visual interest, sticking with the predominantly silver, blue & white palette. The stunning Gian Paolo Maria cuff - handmade in Paris from Swarovski crystals & semi-precious stones - was a birthday present from my parents a few years ago & perfectly matches with the Swarovski cocktail ring I received the same year. Rounding out the line-up was a silver marcasite & mother-of-pearl ring that my friend & erstwhile shopping partner Jenny gave me.


Scroll down for close-ups of each jewellery piece: 




Finishing the ensemble was this whimsical, vintage Glomesh bag - the white & silver mesh worked well with the watercolour print of the platforms & jewellery pieces alike, mirroring the refined choice of dress to create a cohesive overall look.



The bag also has a tiny matching purse. 
Huckleberry's having a look; scroll down if you'd like to as well...


 I absolutely adore it when vintage items have a story. This Glomesh bag once belonged to my Great Aunt Janet & was a birthday present from her beloved husband Russ sometime in the 1970s. They were married for 40+ years & still so in love until death do them part... The cute message above was found in the bottom of the original box. Sadly, they are both no longer with us but I'd like to think that I can capture a little of their sweetness when I give this cherished bag another outing...

*


"...letters I've written, never meaning to send; beauty I've always missed with these eyes before; just what the truth is, I can't say anymore..."

Nights in White Satin - The Moody Blues (1967)

*

No comments:

Post a Comment