Saturday 23 August 2014

I Go To Rio






*

Dress: Anthea Crawford brocade
Wrap: Hari Seng
Booties: Corelli @ Williams
Bag: Novo patent
Necklace: Sussan
Watch: Guess
Cuff: Wallace Bishop silver
Cameo Ring: Vintage (once belonged to Aunty Emily)

*

Spent Friday evening traversing the "Road to Rio" with the help of some dear friends & the Blackstone-Ipswich Cambrian Choir. It might have been pouring with rain outside but it didn't dampen our spirits... After all, we were on our way to enjoy the white sands of Ipanema, the sweaty beats of the Buenos Aires nightclubs & the technicolour spectacle of Carnival in Rio de Janiero!


Despite the temptation to wear all black, navy or charcoal on a cold & wet August night, I decided to go with something a little more festive in the form of my burgundy floral brocade Anthea Crawford dress. Shedding the outer layer of my black leather jacket, I draped a beautiful silk photo-print floral silk & wool-backed wrap around my shoulders in a contrasting hue & matched my jewellery to it - a rose gold, silver & diamante dress watch, silver cuff, vintage rose gold cameo ring & the piece de resistance: a chunky gold & diamante flower necklace to highlight, "play up" or draw attention to the stunning portrait neckline of the dress. Not only did the ensemble feel just that little bit special for a night out, the flickering candlelight from the table really made the neckpiece sparkle. 





A musical voyage of discovery replete with comedic touches, the Theatre Restaurant's opening night was a roaring success! The singing & dancing acts were a wonderful way to experience South American sounds, colours & rhythms with hits such as Peter Allen's "I Go To Rio," Harry Belafonte's "Banana Boat Song" & Barry Manilow's perpetual toe-tapper, "Copacabana." 

Value for money was outstanding, with the show itself & delicious three course meal (alternate drop) of soup, ham-off-the-bone or grilled chicken with vegetables followed by pavlova or citrus tart dessert with tea & coffee as well as access to a fully-stocked bar only costing a mere $35! What a great way to warm the tummy - & the heart! - on a freezing winter's night. This particular little touch was my favourite - a treble clef fashioned out of coconut milk in my Brazilian pumpkin soup with spicy chorizo:


What I love most about amateur theatre is the heart & soul that all of the singers & dancers put into their performances. No one is being paid, it is all for the sheer love of music & this joy radiates from the stage to the audience. My best friend Belinda's father was one of last night's performers, playing a myriad of roles including one we dubbed "Crusty Sailor #1" & sartorially-challenged OAP Texan tourist & I have to say it was a blast watching him morph into each one in front of our very eyes... 

What more can I say? "Road to Rio" made me feel so very happy & left me humming the final number, Ricky Martin's "Cup of Life" all the way home. Ole, Ole, Ole, indeed! 



No comments:

Post a Comment