Tuesday 19 August 2014

In The Wind




*

Dress: Blue Illusion silk
Vest: Emme
Brogues: Ziera patent
Bracelet: Adorne

*





*

Dress: Blue Illusion silk
Vest: Temt
Brogues: Ziera patent
Bangles: Vintage Chinese cinnabar

*

I love windy days. I love the sense of frenetic energy that accompanies gusty squalls & the sense of being wild & free as though I am a small child again, not to mention the melancholy moment when the trees & bushes are finally still. This kind of weather is perfect for putting on a floaty dress & dancing around in the back garden with a long, rainbow coloured ribbon to make gorgeous shapes as it catches on the breeze... 

Two beautiful silk dresses from Blue Illusion were a perfect starting point & coupled with the two fringed vests, the effect was all joy, all movement. Invigorating. It is important to note here, however, that the second look wouldn't be complete without the two vintage Chinese cinnabar bracelets I found in a little antique shop in Fortitude Valley, which add colour & interest. 

Cinnabar, also known as Chinese Lacquer, is a famous Chinese handicraft. Traditionally, cinnabar items were created by painting multiple layers of lacquer onto an item, letting the item dry between each coat & then carving the resulting layers of lacquer into beautiful patterns. See below for a close-up picture of the carvings: the thin bracelet is carved in a floral pattern & the thick bracelet is carved in a pattern of interlocking dragons. 


All that remains is to leave you with a little windy weather inspiration in the form of this Cat Stevens (now Yusuf Islam) song, "The Wind." It's only two minutes long & not particularly well known, but it captures the mood of the day pretty perfectly, in my opinion:

I listen to the wind
To the wind of my soul
Where I'll end up, well I think
Only God really knows
I've sat upon the setting sun
But never, never, never, never
I never wanted water once
 No never, never, never

I listen to my words 
But they fall far below
I let my music take me
Where my heart wants to go
I swam upon the devil's lake
But never, never, never, never
I'll never make the same mistake
No never, never, never




No comments:

Post a Comment