Wednesday 6 June 2018

Ooh La La Gala


*

Dress: Anthea Crawford jacquard
Vest: Alannah Hill feathers & silk
Booties: Wittner patent leather
Bag: Vera May patent leather, marbled resin with silver hardware
Headpiece: Alannah Hill velvet, wire
Hinged Bangle: Gift, vintage 1940s silver
Rings: Tree of Life silver, garnet

*

Well, here they are, all the gorgeous pictures of the outfit I styled up to attend a French Cultural Gala recently with someone dear to me. The theme was all things Drapeau Francaise (Flag of France) so therefore a play of the tricolore of blue, white & red was the order of the day. With that in mind, I donned an absolutely stunning blue & silver rose printed jacquard fit-to-flare dress with high/low hemline from Anthea Crawford, silvery-blue feather & satin sleeveless vest from "girly" Aussie label Alannah Hill for warmth, a pair of shiny black patent booties with pointy-toes & chunky heels from Wittner for height & carried a matching black patent handbag with marbled resin detailing & silver hardware from Vera May, found at my local Bare Traps store at Kenmore a few years ago now. 













When it came to accessories, I decided to go with the old adage "less is more," particularly as I am not actually French (proudly of Scottish Highlander, English & Danish descent, actually, although my hairstyle did rather fool some attendees on the day) but instead a passionate Francophile, wearing a single vintage 1940s silver hinged bangle covered in three-dimension fleur-de-lis (stylised lillies composed of three petals bound together near the base) that a dear friend gifted to me for my 30th birthday & a pair of delicate silver & garnet (a precious stone consisting of a deep red vitreous silicate mineral) rings from Tree of Life for that touch of vermilion & a nod to the bohemian vibes I usually try to imbue in each & every ensemble. 

As with traditional gala dress codes, a headpiece was required & truth be told, I had an incredibly difficult time trying to find something to incorporate both the blue & burgundy tones reminiscent of the tricolore... until I had a brainwave.... A few weeks earlier, while browsing in Alannah Hill, I had fallen in love with a pair of gorgeous velvet floral headpieces, one in blue & one in burgundy & I decided to purchase both & combine them to create the beautiful bespoke piece I was after, the perfect way to complete my Gallic look.


No comments:

Post a Comment