Wednesday 15 October 2014

Franny & the Professor & his Wife

Have been lucky enough to spend time with some dear friends & mentors visiting from "down south," attending both Spamalot! & Wuthering Heights in a matter of days. 

www.djworx.com

King Arthur: Now stand aside, worthy adversary.
Black Knight: 'Tis but a scratch.
King Arthur: A scratch? Your arm's off.
Black Knight: No it isn't.
King Arthur (pointing): What's that then?
Black Knight: I've had worse.


The uproariously funny Spamalot! (a musical version of the 1975 film, Monty Python & the Holy Grail) followed King Arthur & the Knights of the Round Table on a jaunty quest to find the renowned relic & featured the supremely talented Jon English singing the iconic tune, Always Look on the Bright Side of Life. The show was all-singing, all-dancing, side-splitting fun & left many holding their stomachs & wiping their eyes with laughter... 

www.fanpop.com

Heathcliff: "Oh, you said you cared nothing for my sufferings! And I pray one prayer - I repeat it till my tongue stiffens - Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you - haunt me, then! The murdered do not haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!" 

www.bronteappreciationsociety.co.uk 

Speaking of wiping one's eyes, Wuthering Heights had the audience doing the same but for a completely different reason. Emily Bronte's 1846 gothic masterpiece still has the capacity to shock with its raw emotion, unforgiving landscape & dark themes of jealousy & vengeance that culminate in an ultimately tragic ending for the main characters, doomed lovers Heathcliff & Cathy. 

Both outings called for smart-casual options with a spring/summer "floral" feel, pictured below:



Black & pink is a classic colour combination, made that little bit funkier with the use of different textures, such as the sheer black chiffon overlay with the pink satin peeking through. The abstract floral cut-outs also provide visual interest, giving what would otherwise be a simple L.B.D (little black dress) a casual, modern twist. 



A long, dangling necklace is great for lengthening the body & this art deco-eque option provides a "dressed-down" counterpoint on otherwise dressy chiffon. A silver bangle & silver & black onyx bracelet complete the look, anchored with patent black platforms & handbag. 


*

LOOK #1
Dress: Basque satin & chiffon
Peeptoe Platforms: Emerson @ Big W patent
Bag: Novo patent
Necklace: TS
Bangle: Wallace Bishop silver & elastic
Bracelet: Oxfam silver & onyx

*




Roses are perennially stylish fashion statement, particularly striking in red & quirky in this abstract print when scattered over many asymmetrical tiers. The black inherent in the rose's sculptural shape is enhanced by the addition of this art-deco style headband with large black flower over one ear, blending in with my sharp, black bob. 



Once again, the look is anchored by black accessories in the form of patent platforms & handbag & finished with eclectic jewellery - a stunning vintage silver fleur-de-lis hinged bangle & two black faceted-bead bracelets with a myriad of charms including teeny tiny dresses on hangers...



*

LOOK #2
Dress: Liz Jordan chiffon
Platforms: Emerson @ Big W patent
Bag: Novo patent
Hinged Bangle: Vintage, 1940s
Beaded Bracelets with Charms: Thomas Sabo
Headband: Lovisa

*



No comments:

Post a Comment