Thursday 18 December 2014

Fran Can Cook


"We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corns & Syrup." (Elf)

In which I tell myself that "Christmas calories don't count"...

*

Making food for family & friends is a time-honoured Christmas tradition. Heck, who could forget those children ordering a figgy pudding to be brought out to them & then loudly refusing to leave until they were furnished with one in We Wish You A Merry Christmas? And that was in the 16th century! Our usual fare includes Rum Balls, Apricot Balls, Rocky Road & White Christmas - all things we only eat at this time of the year - but this time, Mum & I have added yet another to our repertoire, courtesy of the lovely Bianca at Wholefood Simply, tweaked a little as most great recipes are over time. These Cranberry & Pistachio Balls are free from dairy, gluten, egg & grains but are FULL of taste!

For those of you who are interested, head on over to her website & check out the recipe for yourselves! Simply click here.







Enjoying the finished product by the Christmas tree... as you do at this time of the year...







*

Dress: Roseburg elastane
Ring: Equip resin

*

Busting out a stretchy, tapered dress in a vibrant super-close-up "insect" print that won't show up any coconut-covered fingerprints or chocolate stains from the Rocky-Road-making enterprise going on in the kitchen behind me as I type. The chunky red cocktail ring matches the "pop" of red in the centre of the print perfectly & is easy to clean as it is made of a smooth resin, ensuring that any last skerrik of honey or coconut is but a distant memory...


*


On the sixth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me:
Six geese-a-laying
Five golden rings
Four calling birds
Three French hens
Two turtledoves 
And a partridge in a pear tree

Speaking of family traditions, these clay decorations have been on our tree for twenty-seven years... yes, REALLY! I made them at kindergarten when I was three years old as a gift for my parents & hanging them up every year since has been an important festive ritual in our home.


#1 Butterflies Are Free
We were asked to choose an animal or insect we loved so they could see if they had a cookie cutter for it to make a decoration out of the clay. I decided on a butterfly as I loved how brightly colour they were, as well as the fact that they just seemed so free, fluttering around on the breeze... Clearly not big on being institutionalised at school, despite the fact that BOTH of my parents were teachers...


#2 Santa Claus is Coming to Town
In addition to the animal/insect of our choice, we also made Santa faces & although you can't see the back when it hangs on the tree, I have carved my nickname (Fran) in the back in rudimentary fashion to MAKE SURE that the one I was taking home was ACTUALLY mine. Clearly, I was always one for artistic integrity...

*

No comments:

Post a Comment