Saturday 13 December 2014

Tiara!


Christmas Party: "Cool Yule"

In which I discover the trials & tribulations of celebrity...

*




*

Dress: Vintage, 1980s (gift from Marcus' mother)
Heels: Betts iridescent
Clutch: Target iridescent & vinyl
Necklace: Lovisa glass beaded
Wrap Bracelet: Adorne glass beaded
Dragonfly Cuff: Kellie's Antiques silver art nouveau
Ring: Gift, silver & mother-of-pearl (from Jenny)
Tiara: Butterfly Silver silver, pearl & diamante
Headband: Lovisa faux flowers

*

I had plans to call this post "Cool Yule" but after the events of last Wednesday, sparked by inadvertently wearing the tiara/flower headpiece out in public, I decided to simply go with the word "Tiara!" instead. When you read on, you'll understand why...

Invited to a Frozen-themed Christmas party with instructions to dress as an "homage to one of the characters from the Disney film," I had carefully crafted an outfit that I believed either Princess Elsa or Anna would wear if they were 30-year-old fashionistas struggling to stay cool in 35 degree heat with 76% relative humidity... & if they were brunette, as I CLEARLY am. I repeat, the outfit was an homage NOT a costume & yet, craziness ensued...


My first hint that the ensemble was a success was when I hopped off the bus outside GOMA & put the tiara/flower headpiece on, thinking that no-one would notice in the midst of a bustling metropolis... I was wrong. Instantly, I was assailed by a teeny tiny person who began excitedly asking me if I was Princess Anna. Her mother, behind her, was staring intently at me & nodding like, "pleeeeeeeease play along" so I nodded back. 

Just then, a slightly older boy walked past, flanked by his older brothers & snidely remarked," Of course she isn't Princess Anna - her hair's brown. Duh!" The little girl leaned forward, took my hand & whispered, "Don't listen to him. I knew you were Princess Anna even though you're in disguise with your hair dyed. I knew it as soon as I saw your tiara. It must be because I'm pure of heart. Isn't the right, Mummy?" The mother nodded & mouthed to me, "Yes, this is my life." Seeing it was Christmas & all, I told her I was & that she was clever for figuring out my disguise before waving goodbye & starting to leave... only for her to FOLLOW! The mother actually had to drag her away, blowing kisses as she went...


Hmmmm, that was odd, I thought as I continued walking - for about 10 steps! - before being stopped by some tourists who didn't speak much English but clearly intimated that they would love for me to pose for a picture with their little girl, dressed head-to-toe in a store-bought Frozen costume. What else could I do? Smiling, I obliged...


After that, I took the tiara/flower headpiece off until I reached my destination, which was amazing & oh-so-festive with gorgeous hand-cut white paper snowflakes & little blue fairy lights & shiny silver candelabras, as well as a string quartet playing songs from the film.

Pure magic. 


In a whirl of holiday cheer, I left the venue & quickly traveled to a department store in the middle of the city to pick up a final few decorations before catching my bus, leaving my tiara/flower headpiece on in my haste... Humming carols to myself as I perused the aisles (only a few paces from where the line-up to visit Santa began) I turned around, laden with potential purchases, only to find a group of about 10 - yes, 10! - children behind me, asking if I was "one of the princesses from Frozen." 

In fact, one enterprising little boy even suspected that I might be an in-store "plant" & that perhaps if they found the princess-in-disguise who was "just shopping around like a normal person" they may win a prize - maybe even money! As a cheer rose up from the tiny mob circling around me, I kept reiterating that I didn't work for the store, I was not Princess Anna & that sadly, no one was going to win a prize; protestations that weren't believed until a woman - obviously the mother of one of the children - came over & strongly suggested that "everyone who is even THINKING about seeing Santa & telling him what they want for Christmas has better go & line up over there RIGHT NOW," leading to a mass exodus. 

Suffice to say, I took the tiara/flower headpiece off immediately & stowed it in my bag, thinking: Gee, this celebrity thing is hard!


But about the rest of the outfit...

I decided on this stunning vintage dress - a present from my friend Marcus' mother - with a drop waist & pleated skirt in a pleasing shade of mint green, took it up at the hem to expose some of the seafoam green lace petticoat & set about embellishing it with crystal & pearl trim from the haberdashery shop to create an "icicle" vibe, shown below:


Rather than my usual black patent accessories, iridescent platform heels & an iridescent & mint green envelope clutch were chosen to anchor the look. When it came to jewellery, I chose to layer on all things sparkly & opulent - silver, glass, crystal, pearl & mother-of-pearl - in order to capitalise on the waistband & shoulder trim: a long, triple-strand crystal beaded necklace, vintage crystal beaded brooch, glass beaded wrap bracelet, silver art nouveau dragonfly cuff to inject a little bit of whimy & a silver & mother-of-pearl cocktail ring. Scroll down for a closer look at all of the elements:





And now to the moment you've all been waiting for, the accessory du jour: the tiara/flower headpiece that caused such a stir among the small fry of my fair city... 


Some of you may remember this picture that I posted on the blog Facebook page a short time ago where I wearing the tiara I had just bought from the new Butterfly Silver store at the revamped Indooroopilly Shoppingtown. Well, I felt that it wasn't quite regal enough for the occasion, so decided to combine it with a faux baby's breath wreath to give it more weight & texture. My long-suffering mother sewed the two pieces together & viola! instant princess. To tell the truth, I was slightly concerned that the tiara wasn't visible enough but clearly, that turned out to be a non-issue...




*


On the first day of Christmas
My true love sent to me:
A partridge in a pear tree

The following 2 decorations have been lovingly hung on the family Tannenbaum since I was a babe-in-arms & it just wouldn't feel the same without them in my line of sight as I open my presents under the tree on Christmas morning. 


#1 Baby's First Christmas
This bauble, featuring Donald Duck dressed as Santa Claus, was purchased in celebration of my first Christmas - all the way back in 1984. As a child I absolutely adored the cartoon show called Duck Tales as Donald was always my favourite Disney character, perhaps due (in part) to this humble red bauble. 


#2 Feed the Birds
This decoration was also purchased when I was a teeny tiny little girl & I have always regarded it as being connected to Mary Poppins, although I don't think it was ever intended to be. My favourite scene from that movie was always when Mary was singing to sleepy Jane & Michael about using their tuppence to feed the birds at the Cathedral, so that was probably where my young mind made the connection.

Though her words are simple & few
Listen, listen, she's calling to you
Feed the birds, tuppence a bag
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag

*

No comments:

Post a Comment